Sunday, July 5, 2015

Ordinary

We sat outside on our back patio last night reading. Half of a glass of red wine sat in front of each of us on the wooden table, and the hot summer day finally relented to a pleasant cool evening. The neighbor's cat brushed across his leg and he greeted her with far more tenderness than I would have. She definitely knows which one of us to prefer. But all living things are like that: drawn to him. Especially kids and animals. I think it's because they just know they can trust him.  (And, perhaps, because he's so gosh darn fun!)

I looked over the yard as the last of the day's light cast shadows and colors on the fence and sighed contentedly, "I love it here." "Me too," he said, "Thank you for being willing to live an ordinary life with me."

"I wouldn't trade it for the world."

And yet, we both agreed, we wished that our life was just a bit more ordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment